Ph.D. in Speech-Communication in 1992 from the Pennsylvania State University. Areas of study include Media and Child Development and the Political Uses of Media.
- 2016 International Alcohol Policy 17 Conference Plenary Session
- 2015 National Council on Alcoholism & Drug Dependence Plenary Session
- 2010 Florida State Prevention Conference Keynote
- 2006 First Lady of Oklahoma’s Interfaith Prayer Breakfast on Internet Safety Keynote
- 2005 Southeast Regional College Heath Association Conference Plenary Session
- 2004 National Governors Association, Spouses Luncheon Keynote
- 2002 National Alcohol Boards of Control Conference Plenary Session
- State wide prevention, education, and child health conferences in over 30 states, including Leadership to Keep Children Alcohol Free, Centers for Substance Abuse Prevention, Student Assistance Professionals, Mother's Against Drunk Driving, and American Medical Association Medical Reporting Conferences. Keynoted at Youth Prevention Rallies in over 20 states.
Author of the Alcohol Literacy Challenge Curricula. Five volumes of NREPP Reviewed, alcohol prevention curriculum for parents and students in elementary, middle school, high school and college. Adopted by colleges, school districts and county prevention programs in 14 states.
White House Office On Drug Control Policy (1998 Spider Man Tobacco Prevention Comic Book) Robert Wood Johnson Foundation (2000-2002 Governor’s Spouse Initiative underage drinking prevention program) Pew Charitable Trusts (2002 Center on Alcohol Marketing to Youth project) Centers for Disease Control (2004 Tobacco Counter Advertising Best Practices Manual) National Center for Family Literacy/Verizon Foundation Tech Savvy Awards—Judge (2007-9)
Selected Trainings Given
Trainer for the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Leadership to Keep Youth Alcohol Free initiative, working with Governor's spouses in 29 states. Dozens of teacher in-services including schools districts in 10 states and Safe & Drug Free Schools sponsored workshops in New Mexico. Faculty for Media Literacy Teacher Catalyst Institute 4 day training offered by the New Mexico Media Literacy Project in 1998 & 1999. Highlights include:
- 2015/2016 Trainings in Nine Counties in Florida for the Hanley Center Foundation
- 2015 Five Regional Trainings for New York State Prevention Providers
- 2010 New Mexico Highway Traffic Safety Grantees
- 2007 National Center for Youth Issues training on Internet Safety at 4 sites across Tennessee
- 2006 Three week intensive-training/speaking tour for Montana Health Department training 200 educators in 4, 2-day sessions and speaking at 16 school assembly and community forums
- 2005 & 2007 Alaska statewide tobacco control grantees (2 days)
- 2005 Montana statewide drug prevention grantees (4 days)
- 2003 New York statewide alcohol prevention grantees (5 days)
- 2001 Robert Wood Johnson Foundation staff & guests
- Day trainings for state agencies and prevention coalitions in over 25 states